Researchers at Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA) and University of New South Wales (UNSW) are inviting people who have noticed changes in their memory or thinking, or have a diagnosis of Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI), to participate in a voluntary research trial investigating dementia risk reduction.
What is the MyCoach Trial about?
This research aims to test the effectiveness of a healthy lifestyle intervention designed to support healthy brain ageing and reduce dementia risk. The course is tailored for people experiencing changes or concerns in thinking, memory or cognition. The intervention will run for 12 weeks, and the study will also involve a 13-week, 6‑month and 1‑year follow-up interview (more information below).
What is involved in this research trial?
Interested volunteers will complete an eligibility screening to confirm this study is a good match. Next, volunteers will be randomised into one of two groups: MyCoach Intervention or Email information. To ensure the research is fair and unbiased, the group is chosen randomly – like pulling names from a hat.
- MyCoach Intervention (12 weeks): Participants will have access to a 12-week online course, consisting of six chapters about cognitive health and dementia risk factors, and they will receive a telephone booster session 3‑months later. During the 12-week period, participants will be offered two consultations sessions with a dietician and an exercise physiologist, as well as access to a brain-training app.
- Email information (12 weeks): Participants will receive six email bulletins about cognitive health and risk factors for dementia over a 12-week period. At the end of the study, access to the full MyCoach online course will be provided.
- All participants will take part in four telephone interviews, which will involve answering a number of questionnaires about cognitive function, lifestyle and mental health. These interviews will take place before the intervention period, straight after the intervention and again 6‑months and 1 year later.
You may be eligible to participate in the MyCoach Trial if you:
- Have concerns about changes in your memory or thinking OR diagnosed with ‘Mild Cognitive Impairment’
- Are 65 years of age or older
- Have no other current diagnosed psychiatric or neurological disorders
- Are able to read, write and communicate in English to a comfortable level
- Are willing to complete an online course and interviews over telephone/video call
Expressions of interest
The MyCoach study is no longer recruiting new participants. Please refer back at a later date, as the team is looking to develop similar studies in the future.