Driving is critical for enabling mobility and community participation in older Australians, with over 90% of those aged in their 70s being licensed drivers. There is an urgent need for evidence-based methods for enhancing and maintaining older drivers skills methods that are ready for translation into cost-effective and practical interventions.
About the trial
The Better Drive Trial is a three-arm randomised controlled trial that assesses the effectiveness of different driver education types on safety outcomes for older adults. The relative effectiveness of tailored lessons, road-rule workshops and tailored feedback on on-road driver performance will be assessed in over 198 participants over one year. If effective, interventions will improve driving safety, reduce costs associated with crashes, and maintain social participation.
Our multidisciplinary team has expertise in cognitive ageing, psychology, occupational therapy, behaviour change and injury prevention, and proven records of designing and implementing RCTs of behavioural interventions for improving safety in older adults. The outcomes of the project will lead to the development of community programs for older drivers that seek to maintain mobility and community participation.
The Better Drive Trial is funded by the NHMRC and is expected to run for five years.
How to take part
Researchers at Neuroscience Research Australia (NeuRA) and The University of New South Wales are seeking older adults as research volunteers to trial driving interventions to improve driving in later life.
This study will be suited to you if:
- You are aged over 65
- Have a current drivers licence and drive regularly
- Plan to keep driving for the next 12 months
- Live in metropolitan Sydney
What would happen if I took part in the research project?
The study will run for 12 months and if you decide to take part you would:
- Have your vision, memory and reactions tested at NeuRA and have an on the road driving test through a pre-determined route. Follow up assessments will occur at 3 and 12 months.
- Be randomly allocated to one of three driving skills refresher programs: 1) classroom education 2) classroom education and tailored feedback and action planning on your driving skills 3) classroom education, tailored feedback and action planning on your driving skills and two on-the-road driving lessons with a trained instructor
- Keep monthly driving diaries
Your participation in this trial has no impact on your driver’s licence it is for research purposes only.
The Better Drive Study has finished recruitment and is no longer enrolling participants.
If you would like to be notified about future driving research please feel free to contact:
Phone: 02 9399 1135